9.01.2005

Ava Thursday: Dreaming



Ava drew this the other night, right before she was going to bed. She told me that this is a girl dreaming ("It's not me," Ava tells me). The girl is dreaming about another girl on a school playground laughing at someone. Ava said that the girl is laughing when she's not supposed to -- which is a big issue with Ava. It has always bothered Ava when somebody laughs at her, even if it was because she was doing or saying something cute. To Ava, whenever she's trying to say something, it's meant to be serious (unless she's making a joke, of course). There have been numerous times when a friend of ours giggled or snickered at whatever Ava was saying -- not meant to be mean or rude, but because that kid of ours is very cute in the way she talks. But Ava gets embarrassed, or even mad if she picks up on any unauthorized laughing. She'll close her eyes and turn away. Andrea and I will just let her be, as we know if we draw attention to her doing this, she'll retreat even more. Sensitive kid, that Ava. She got it from me.

Anyway, this drawing is so intricate and amazing, and since there is someone who is dreaming, I thought I'd submit it to Illustration Friday, since the theme this week is "dreams." This makes it Ava's first entry. Thought people might get a kick out of it.

For anyone who doesn't know, Ava is my 5 year-old daughter, and I post a drawing or painting of hers every Thursday, dubbed appropriately enough, Ava Thursday. If you're curious about previous Ava Thursday entries, just check out the pull-down menu over there on the right column. There's plenty to enjoy.

And by the way, the next day Ava went back to this drawing and added more to it. You can check out the rest of this on-going masterpiece by clicking on the thumbnail to the left. She added some characters at the top, with a refridgerator over on the right, complete with a piece of artwork taped to it. There's so much more to mention in this drawing, and I could go on forever, but I'll just stop now. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. awww what a cute kid. crazy how kids portray their lives through their little drawings. and what a perfect fit for this weeks illofriday. couldnt have had better timing. right on to Ava. please do tell her congrats for me. im sure she would be proud to have made it on the illofriday list with all the other talented artists. great job!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that's kind of fun that you submitted this for her - i'm sure she's thrilled! such an intricate drawing, so much is going on - right down to the goey hands and i like the idea of having handles at kid level on the fridge door! always fun to visit ava thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a five year old she sure does illustrate the chaotic nature of dreams. Appreciating kids art and creativity is so important, they have such a pure view of the world. My daughter is 2 and I look forward to sharing similar moments with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed at all the thought she put into this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the details in this picture. It really is amazing, especially for only being five years old. I love all the little stories in her picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GAH! Miss Ava has extreme talent!! And a very observant eye and sensitivity. I absolutely love how the laughing girl has her head cocked back while she cackles away. She's a mean laughing girl and I don't like her very much. Though I ADORE Ava's depiction of her. OH, and that playground... It's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete